Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Open Floor To Haxus

(10-06-2020, 05:01 PM)Haxus Wrote: Also, I was painfully reminded of one huge problem with free to play. It allowed griefers to drive players away without consequence. One of the most demoralizing aspects of developing a game like this is the spiteful people who willfully try to destroy what you have built, even making it their personal mission in life.

The way the game is right now. We don't really have griefers. We have undefined goals and no incentive to play nice with others except for fear being shunned by the community as a whole for being a bully (which likely won't happen ever).
The word "griefer" is poorly defined, it suggests that anyone playing against someone else is "griefing" the other. This is a MMO sandbox with little to no rules. You can't lose the game and you can't win the game. That means that some people will do what they consider fun, even at the expense of others.

I have been wiped out completely by a single guy that doesn't even remember why he started doing it. That isn't griefing, that is a player doing what they think is fun. The part that wasn't fun for me was how the game doesn't have any mechanics that force more fair war and possible defense. And then clear exploitation of mechanics that just enabled the attacker make recapture of occupied cities take forever or be plain impossible.

The "War Dimension" is named such because it allows for players to attack each other. There are no game mechanics to prevent or limit these attacks. You can have your empire attacked and wiped out for sport, or retaliation to an offence you didn't know you committed.

I know there were a few players that joined the war dimension because there is simply more players there and more to do. But then regret it after a while because they don't want to lose what they have built. I understand all that but I didn't come to terms with it lightly either, to the point where I now expect to lose whatever I make which takes some fun out of it.

We have discussed possible war and territory mechanics in the past, but we have actually lost a lot of the old war mechanics with the change from old-style to new-style buildings. Mainly I just want something that prevent complete destruction of all civilian infrastructure the same day the attacker enters the solar system.
See: (Idea thread) Conquest of Solar Systems

(10-06-2020, 05:01 PM)Haxus Wrote: There is possibly a technical reason to force a restart. I was toying with the idea of restructuring the universe so the pvp and pve dimensions each have 10 galaxies. It was encouraging to see similar comments from players. It's a lot of space for both dimensions and then it doesn't give the impression that the pve dimension is somehow less than the pvp dimension.

Maybe we really just need to remove the discontinuity between war and peace dimensions. Or at least make it one way. I see no harm in players moving from the war dimension to the peace dimension. It is mainly the other way that could lead to some issues, such as someone manufacturing giant warships safely in the peace dimension and using them to wipe out empires in the war dimension without fear of retaliation.

But as I mentioned before. I think it would be better if you just had one galaxy in each of the dimensions, then if/when one dimension starts getting overpopulated, you can add another galaxy to it. It is easier to add more galaxies later, than it is remove them. Never assume you know exactly how players would like to play your game.

All that said, I still think resetting the universe is a bad idea. I think you should instead consider asking people in those other galaxies if they would mind if you remove/move the galaxies. And if we want "an even playing field", just remove all warp >1 patents and refit all ships to have warp1 modules installed.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

(10-07-2020, 01:16 AM)wad67 Wrote: Why would you open the floor to haxus, he might fall through!
Stop! that's an OSHA violation!

Haxus.

Thanks for making this game. I really wish you the best in this endeavor. I will purchase the game wherever you release it next.

Based off the information I have available to me, I do not believe Steam is the right move for Hazeron unless a major update were to be released beforehand. Currently the new player experience is so bad and difficult that Dean and others are forced to provide much of the information new players need. This won't work if a significant amount of new players join. Unless significant changes are made specifically to the UI and tutorial I suspect the result of a Steam release is a forgone conclusion.

If hosting this project on your own is financially unsustainable in the long term then I honestly believe that the only future for this project rests in community run servers. Please consider in the future releasing the ability for players to host our own servers. I would personally be willing to pay for the ability to host my own server and would commit to an agreement not to utilize your work for financial gain.

It is not a sign of weakness to listen to the advice of those around you (who might have a perspective you lack) and then make a decision which is different than what you might have normally undertaken.

(10-07-2020, 09:20 PM)Phoenix Wrote: community run servers
How would you ensure consistency of the game then?

(10-07-2020, 09:20 PM)Phoenix Wrote: Currently the new player experience is so bad and difficult that Dean and others are forced to provide much of the information new players need. This won't work if a significant amount of new players join. Unless significant changes are made specifically to the UI and tutorial I suspect the result of a Steam release is a forgone conclusion.

Yeah if Hazeron does move on-to steam, someone would have to create and maintain tutorial videos throughout the development. It's not impossible to do if you pay someone for their time and expertise.

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]

(10-08-2020, 12:28 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote:
Keep in mind this is just my idea in case Haxus decides he would rather not host the game at some point in the future. I hope the game is successful and it does not need to come to this.

Also I assume you mean "quality," because I'm not sure if it matters if all servers are consistent. I think the tools to run a server should be available to anyone. However this is Haxus' project and I don't have a leg to stand on in that decision. I think that if there are many servers then eventually one or two will stand out from the rest and be the place most people want to play in.

This would just be a "plan B" to keep the game alive if haxus can't sustain hazeron any longer.

The game in its current state isn't known for being very consistent either...
What even

Plan B: Open Source the game. Upload everything to GitHub.

Lot's of games and software are open-sourced, that's also on Steam.

Can you name any game the scale of EVE Online/SoH/you-name-it, that is opensource?