Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020-07-01 Launcher Fail
Launcher Fail
Launcher update for Windows does not work. Reports communications error.

Launcher updated, for both Windows 64 bit and 32 bit builds. It does not fail on Linux but I will build and post those platform builds as well, just to be sure everybody is on the same page.

I also added the build date to the version, per DeanTwo's suggestion.

FWIW, the launcher does have a mechanism for checking for updates to itself. It will report when a new version is available and if getting that update is required or not.

The changes from HTTP to HTTPS prevented any communications with the server at all, which meant the program could not determine the latest version of itself. The program could not know that an update would solve the problem.
Want to bring this to your attention in case you aren't aware. Renewing subscription has been redirecting to "shoresofhazeron.com" instead of "hazeron.com", which caused some session issues before, but appears to be completely broken now.
[Image: 5k3kxg2.png]
(07-01-2020, 06:57 PM)Haxus Wrote: FWIW, the launcher does have a mechanism for checking for updates to itself. It will report when a new version is available and if getting that update is required or not.

The changes from HTTP to HTTPS prevented any communications with the server at all, which meant the program could not determine the latest version of itself. The program could not know that an update would solve the problem.

Ooh yes I slightly recall that, and I saw it just now too.

By the way, I have always wondered why the Hazeron client isn't saved in the Launcher's folder. And it is not impossible to have the launcher update itself either, at least for Windows I have done so at work. Lots of fun to program by the way, once you know all the pit falls.

Not saying this is any kind of a priority, but maybe it would be nice to do some day. However I know that Steam will likely want you to not use the documents folder anymore either, so you are likely going to be making changes in the future anyway.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
The launcher is installed into the Program Files folder on Windows. A program cannot write data there unless it runs with admin permissions.

The launcher downloads data, which includes some programs. The only common place on all platforms where a program can write data without admin permissions is in your home folder.

However, the launcher does have settings so you can change where the files are stored.
I will update the PayPal buttons. I forgot they include URLs.

UPDATE: PayPal buttons are updated now.
Quote:Steam will likely want you to not use the documents folder anymore
Steam requires that all updates are handled through their system, if I remember correctly. The Launcher won't exist for Steam users.
Just feeling talkative...

Some time ago I reviewed my entire list of Shores of Hazeron items in Silverwill. I prioritized items to isolate just the items that I thought must be done before I could consider publishing Shores of Hazeron on Steam. There are certainly things that would like to be done but I wanted to hammer out the things that really had to be done.

It's been a three steps forward two steps back process. New items pop up along the way. Changes have a ripple effect that require other things to be changed. Previously unknown problems leap to the forefront, though rarely any more.

That list is down to five items. Only one of them requires any code to be written.

That one programming item simply requires some body poses to be finished with the gen4 creatures.

I saved it for last because the gen4 creatures are far from complete. It will pull me back into the gen4 creature code, where I intend to stay for awhile.

Of course, I will be fixing bugs that pop up along the way too.