Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BUG: Save game gone

As far as I know, there's a certain edge (orbit height), at which you leave System scene and enter Planet scene.
So, this still may be a problem in scene transition.

Update:

Dang ok never mind, the movement thing is not related. This time I was completely stationary. My officers were at a standstill. Save game dead again. Rollback saved the day.
This seems to only happen when I quit the game. Could be an issue with the checkpoint save system? ( I believe quitting is a checkpoint ) 

I have been saving the game, backing it up, then quitting due to paranoia. So the only changes made to the save game file are done at exit only.

[Image: ezgif-com-resize.gif]

From what we can tell, because this seems to happen only when people quit the game, it might be an issue with the save writing process at game quit. It seems the game wipes the old save, starts writing the new one, but the game closes before it can finish writing so you end up with a wiped save. Fix is to always backup, but you can also manually save and then kill the process so it doesn't try to overwrite

Have also sent haxus an email about this since it's extremely severe
What even

Yup, you can definitely see that it only saves the last 'save game" and it auto saves when you log out normally. Manually save often and kill the process if you glitch and want to go back.

I would suggest that it save the last three saves and allow us to choose which we want to use. Or at least give us a "load save" option.
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!

Are there any plans to add autosaving to Stasrship. I just had a crash afetr having the game open for a good few hours doing stuff and was rolled back to when I started the game.
Is there normal saving?
edit: There is save game option under the first icon on the side menu

The save game code saves to temporary files. After that completes successfully, the temporary files are moved to replace the active files. This is simple code.

I suspect a file operation is not really finished when shutting down, perhaps due to buffered IO. I added code to flush those buffers before finishing. It may fix the issue.

(02-13-2023, 07:01 PM)Haxus Wrote: The save game code saves to temporary files. After that completes successfully, the temporary files are moved to replace the active files. This is simple code.

I suspect a file operation is not really finished when shutting down, perhaps due to buffered IO. I added code to flush those buffers before finishing. It may fix the issue.

Thank you! Hopefully the change does the job - been an issue for a while, will post if it happens again after the update
What even

(02-13-2023, 07:01 PM)Haxus Wrote: The save game code saves to temporary files. After that completes successfully, the temporary files are moved to replace the active files. This is simple code.

Could we have automated save backup function? Currently some players do it manually or with simple batch scripts. I understand that duplicating big save file (gigabytes) might be costly, so it probably should be optional. Additionally 3rd party archivers could be used, for example 7zip, it's free to use and supports command line to silently archive or restore. Game could detect if one is installed (or users could manually write a path) and if provided, archive periodically when game is launched. Of course it should be put in low priority to avoid lag

7zip archived 219 megabyte save file in 5 seconds. Resulted .7z archive weights 44 megabytes (~80% reduction). .zip archive took 10 seconds and weights 77 megabytes (65% reduction). All 16 CPU threads were used. .7z format can be opened with 7zip. .zip format can be opened with windows explorer. Encryption and password can be set up to protect save file.
In game GUI can be used to restore save file.
I believe game has "rolling cache", so when save initiates, game writes everything to file and uses cache while archiving to prevent data corruption.
This is crucial. A minor rollback is better than lost entire progress.
Report or Exploit

Some digging turned up a Qt object designed to handle the issues here. It is a QSaveFile, used for writing files that must not fail or leave broken files behind. It was easy to implement. It is in the update posted today.