Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Poll: Should building Quality of Operation be removed?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Keep building Quality of Operation unchanged.
18.18%
2 18.18%
Eliminate building Quality of Operation.
81.82%
9 81.82%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nerf Building Quality Progression

We need to think carefully about this. It's more or less the whole progression of gameplay at stake - I recommend we give this topic plenty of time to bear fruit.

Both TL and Q progression have been very passive - that is probably more of a problem than the particular speed at which they progress. Many games advertise 100 hrs gameplay: it's whether that's grinding or having fun that's important.

I'd like to see some tech system where getting ahead is more involved and more fun. That could be done in other ways than Q or TL. For example, planets with high resource Q might have some enemy forces or hostile conditions you have to sort out before developing infrastructure. At low tech, that would mean marshalling your forces and having a fight on your hands to get to the next level, or conducting extensive preparations and terraforming. At high tech, you just blow the enemy away in seconds before colonizing as usual. More meaningful PvE would be welcome in the game.

I'm by no means ready to offer a full commentary. I'll only note that whatever is implemented, I think a year's wait to get to the top has been long enough for most of us - I wouldn't want a scratch start again. Whether that means translating empire's existing tech into whatever new system we have, or just implementing a "level free" system as you suggest, I don't know. The rounding up effect of high process Q has proved quite welcome over time. Some parts of my empire would be sore to lose it - can we keep it in some form?

I haven't voted yet.

PS You were talking about the story engine today. What about adopting the system you propose: resource Q is everything, but some patents are rewards for questlines. Just a small number of major things like wormhole drives, warp drives, transporters etc. Empires now in the game which have those patents could keep them (patents would still have some purpose, wouldn't they?). That could be a fun solution. You could also just be given the patent by a friendly alien. This would provide slightly more progression.

Messages In This Thread
Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-17-2018, 06:25 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-17-2018, 06:34 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Vectorus - 09-17-2018, 08:11 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-17-2018, 09:26 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-17-2018, 09:29 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-18-2018, 01:35 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-18-2018, 02:16 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-18-2018, 03:19 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-18-2018, 09:08 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-18-2018, 09:09 PM
RE: Nerf Building Quality Progression - by Haxus - 09-19-2018, 04:25 PM