Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warfare system - balancing ideas

(09-30-2022, 12:56 PM)Akynos Wrote: Suggestion : warfare city status

Suggestion: New automatically calculated ground battles

I won't address each point separately right now, since they all sort of rely on each other it wouldn't make sense anyway. To begin with I see a few major issues with the proposed system.

First issue being that you are explaining this as a per city or per world invasion system. That means I need to siege each and every city/world separately. This I have voiced concerns over in the past when discussing the 4th suggestion category you mentioned. Basically if a solar system has at least one city on every world in a solar system, you are looking at having to siege and invade up to 21 (biggest ringworld) different targets or more per solar system. This is why I have been lean more towards the idea of solar system wide sieges, since that way you aren't giving advantage to people that just throw cities down on every world they can get close to.

With the same assumption, if sieges are per city or per world then under the current system some cities or whole solar systems would just collapse when sieged. This is because of how the average solar system is made, usually you make one major city to act as the solar system capital. This solar system capital might be the main manufacturing hub and support for all other cities in the solar system. Little moon colonies will rarely have a local and self-sufficient air production line, so if they are sieged the citizens will simply suffocate before an invasion can be finished. Even worse is if no cities are self-sufficient in the solar system, a tiny moon colony mines the ice while another tiny moon colony produces the food, losing either would doom the whole solar system.

Second major issue I see is destruction. You seem to assume that all players will want to capture enemy cities, but this is actually not the case. Generally it is easier to start a new city from scratch than it is to repurpose someone else's city to fit your needs, this is why once building destruction was introduced it became standard to just bomb the cities from orbit and build new cities on the ruins. This is also an immersion issue, if you really think immersion is that important that artificial protection timers are bad, then some players will find it extremely immersion breaking that they can't roleplay as the Covenant from Halo and just glass (vaporize everything on) enemy worlds.

You didn't link to any threads so I'll just leave the main thread we have discussed a lot of this in recently.
Here: (Idea thread) Conquest of Solar Systems
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

Messages In This Thread
Warfare system - balancing ideas - by Akynos - 09-30-2022, 12:56 PM
RE: Warfare system - balancing ideas - by Deantwo - 10-01-2022, 08:32 PM
RE: Warfare system - balancing ideas - by Deantwo - 10-01-2022, 09:03 PM
RE: Warfare system - balancing ideas - by Akynos - 10-02-2022, 08:46 AM
RE: Warfare system - balancing ideas - by Deantwo - 10-02-2022, 11:20 AM
RE: Warfare system - balancing ideas - by Akynos - 10-02-2022, 08:20 PM