Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Open Letter to Haxus from French Empire

Quote:If you guys haven't time to read that or to respond clearly with concrete arguments (and especially if your objective is to answer in place of Haxus), can you please stop polluting this thread and instead send it to Haxus the next time he's online?

If the message was only for me, you could have sent an e-mail.

Thank you for pointing out, in so many ways, how I am failing to succeed. 

It's just me. I am one person, not a team of software developers. When real life demands my attention, work on SoH is directly impacted.

Recently I took some time off to be with my daughter. She came to quarantine here after getting out of prison. Now that the corona-hoax is fading away, she has returned to her home and job. I value the time we spent together.

Along with that came spring planting. It's the busiest time of year here on the farm. Every spare moment is spent doing something to avoid being overwhelmed by the explosion of weeds. We live in a very verdant environment.

Gophers chewed through a bunch of the irrigation lines in the garden. That turned into a few days of digging and fixing. I swear those irrigation lines are made from bacon infused plastic. Those critters will eat half the tubing away for several feet.

My internet connection was down for about a week because of a wind storm that blew the dish antenna out of alignment. Luckily the debug servers are here so I can continue working when that happens. We get some screaming winds here, especially in spring time.

The power supply in one of the debug servers gave up the ghost the other day. It took time to repair using parts from another old box.

A fox was killing our chickens last week. It managed to kill all of our adult roosters and some hens before I got it. She was a beautiful animal. It made me sad to shoot her.

Our wheat grinder arrived from Denmark, to grind wheat into flour. It's a big beautiful cast iron thing with a huge flywheel on the side. Now I need to pick up an electric motor, a belt, and some bolts to set up the wheat grinding station in the barn. Add that to the project list.

Then of course, like every home owner, the lawn needs to be mowed at least once a week, twice for a really nice looking yard. That takes two to three hours on my riding mower each time, depending on how much really needs mowing.

I don't know if you are getting the picture. This project is developed by one person, me. Sometimes I have other things to do. Recently, it has been a struggle to assign any importance to working on SoH at all.

I've been chipping away at a list of SoH items I made some time back, things that must be done before a Steam release could be considered. Some of them were really difficult, not the kind of easy chaff where you can knock off several items in a day. They also manage to be the least desirable things to work on, how dull.

That list is down to seven items. Only two of them require any code to be written. The other five look ultra dull.

I hear a lot of talk of potential when it comes to SoH. That's double speak for features people would like to see implemented but are not. I recommend focusing on what SoH is right now, not what you want it to become. You are much less likely to be disappointed that way.

"When you develop expectations, you set yourself up for disappointment." - Howard Lewinter

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open Letter to Haxus from French Empire - by Haxus - 06-25-2020, 05:15 PM