Hazeron Forums
Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - Printable Version

+- Hazeron Forums (https://hazeron.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Shores of Hazeron (https://hazeron.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Arena of Ideas (https://hazeron.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 (/showthread.php?tid=2588)

Pages: 1 2 3

Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - Rockinsince87 - 03-04-2021

So for those who don't know, hazeron was/is scaled 1:10.  (first off, If I am wrong about this please slap me now...I was aware of this back in 2012, not sure about today)
Since the game is now solo and not running on the MMO server farm, why not upscale parts of it back.

Things to upscale 10x:
- Solar systems
- Ship acceleration
- Sensors
- Naturally Ringworlds per the solar system part

Reasoning: So since the game is going to be going single player on steam...the space gamers have a unique tastes. You have a wide verity of hits that have scored with the market and it's players. Each game missing parts or pieces of the "perfect space game". We all know Hazeron is special because it has the most comprehensive list of features out of every space game to date. 

Scale is important but so is balance and I understand that. Where do you draw the line at simulator vs casual/arcade right? So that's why I'm tossing this out here. I know this is a cosmetic only but it may make a difference in the market. 

If 1:1 is too much, then I also propose 1:2 % 1:5 scale. 

Thoughts anyone?

RE: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - Deantwo - 03-04-2021

I can see maybe wanting solar systems bigger, so the worlds aren't so close to each other. And maybe more spacing between solar systems so that deadheading takes longer.

But other than that I don't think that things need to be bigger in the game.

If worlds were bigger, the cities we make on them would feel even more weirdly tiny.

RE: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - Rockinsince87 - 03-04-2021

(03-04-2021, 04:02 PM)Deantwo Wrote: I can see maybe wanting solar systems bigger, so the worlds aren't so close to each other. And maybe more spacing between solar systems so that deadheading takes longer.

But other than that I don't think that things need to be bigger in the game.

If worlds were bigger, the cities we make on them would feel even more weirdly tiny.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing, world size should stay the same. They are fine the way they are honestly. The only issue with the upscaling is that ringworlds would be holy crap big; Like full Niven sized if you upscale the solar systems 1:1 and plan on keeping 1AU the largest size. Most likely ringworlds will be the defining piece for scale. Meaning whatever scale is not ridiculous for Ringworlds, use that as the upscale factor for everything else. Because of this, it might be best to just upscale everything by 2x. I have a feeling anything beyond that and ringworlds will look silly big. 

As for system spacing in sectors. I actually like they how it's arranged. Galaxy size is fine too and we have a ton of them now (Thanks Haxus!   Big Grin ) 

What if to make dead heading take longer, make it so ships have a speed limit. A sort of acceleration break even point. Where they are only able to reach 10 or 50% of Light Speed or something like that. 

Now by upscaling things, it does open the doors of having more engine types too instead of having Gravity Drive be the end all engine. Have engines with higher top speeds and accelerations. Either new actual engines or just make Mark I - X versions to research or something. 

So to summarize thus far: 
- Upscale Solar systems by 2x (ringworld sets the limit)
   - Leave planet size alone
   - Make sure moon distance is also 2x away from parent planet. 
- Either upscale the existing accelerations or make additional engines 
   - Set a top speed limit on each engine type
- Either upscale the existing sensor limits or make additional sensors type or versions
- Ringworlds, scale them by 2x
   - Not sure if we need to discuss making them more rare because of this ( I really don't want them to become more rare )

RE: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - AnrDaemon - 03-05-2021

I don't see the reason.
In MMO game, you could send orders and go to sleep. Your crew will complete. Eventually.
In solo game, your universe only runs when game runs. Making any processes unnecessarily long would only impede on playability or require gameplay changes into progressquest area.

RE: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - Rockinsince87 - 03-06-2021

(03-05-2021, 02:09 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: I don't see the reason.
In MMO game, you could send orders and go to sleep. Your crew will complete. Eventually.
In solo game, your universe only runs when game runs. Making any processes unnecessarily long would only impede on playability or require gameplay changes into progressquest area.

Part of the suggestion is to upscale engine speeds too. So travel times will be exactly the same. It's a cosmetic thing in the end. Now I know it's "Solo" but I'm also hoping/planning my suggestions based on that Haxus might make it possible to host the game. Either as a dedicated server via a command line launch option for the solo game or host direct from the GUI at launch.

You know as well as I do that once this game is released a lot of people are going to want this to be multiplayer capable. The code is already there so it would be a waste not to utilize it. Having dedicated servers all over the place is a good thing

In No Mans Sky when it first came out, it was hugely disappointing for a number of reasons. One of those reasons, planets were practically on top of each other in star systems. It looked really janky. In Hazeron, large star systems look really good (like the one below). Small systems have always felt off to me. 

EDIT: For reference it takes my 250m/s ship about 1:30 - 2 minutes to travel to any planet in this system. The views while approaching large bodied planets are really nice. 

[Image: Hazeron-Starship-Yx01c-P2-HQ2.png]

RE: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - AnrDaemon - 03-08-2021

If you change both size and speed, the point become moot, IMO.

RE: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - Rockinsince87 - 03-08-2021

(03-08-2021, 11:07 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: If you change both size and speed, the point become moot, IMO.

I can respect that. It's really just cosmetic so it only changes the look and feel of the game a bit. Perhaps make it a game option for those hosting (if we are hosting one day) for the seed generation. Perhaps a "large solar system scale" check box?

RE: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - Wincil - 03-31-2021

I wouldn't mind having a 1:1 scaled universe I don't think that would be moot I think the speed of light should be the limit without ftl drives and that's without any from of ftl tavel and you can exceed the speed of light with ftl drives. The true speed of light is 1,691.7 times faster I think this should be a option for those hosting and single player solo game. you can go for a mix of realism and some sci fi btw.

RE: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - AnrDaemon - 03-31-2021

Why do you delete and repost your message over and over again?

RE: Upscale parts of the game up 10x or back to 1:1 - Wincil - 03-31-2021

(03-31-2021, 07:45 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: Why do you delete and repost your message over and over again?
Idk I forgot that there's a edit button