Hazeron Forums
Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - Printable Version

+- Hazeron Forums (https://hazeron.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Shores of Hazeron (https://hazeron.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://hazeron.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Forum: Prerelease Bug Reports (https://hazeron.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Thread: Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage (/showthread.php?tid=2355)

Pages: 1 2 3

Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - Vhwatgoes - 05-28-2020

In my case, a smelter had ~7400 workers for metal. The building has an enormous ~49,000,000 storage capacity, but due to the exponential bonuses bug reported here, this process was producing an absurd ~55,000,000 metal every 2 seconds. This exceeded the storage and didn't output.

Workaround: reducing the workers to 4000 caused output to be 16,040,000 per run, and the inventory began to fill.

[Image: v52lvhF.png]
[Image: mNizbSc.png]

With Workaround:
[Image: gS1ukG7.png]
[Image: 7ISiJYI.png]

RE: Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - Deantwo - 05-28-2020

Duplicate of (Bug report) Inventory Full, Empty, but very nice pictures.

This bug also causes some power plants to be completely non-functional.

RE: Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - Vhwatgoes - 05-28-2020

Hmm, I didn't intended to make a duplicate thread, however that other one is a bit of a mess.

Can we keep the concise one?

RE: Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - Deantwo - 05-28-2020

(05-28-2020, 10:07 AM)Vhwatgoes Wrote: Hmm, I didn't intended to make a duplicate thread, however that other one is a bit of a mess.

Can we keep the concise one?

Having both threads is fine, assuming we get it fixed sooner rather than later.
Plus deleting a thread becomes impossible once the thread has replies.

And a new thread to discuss this in is good. So I don't have to be reminded of interrogating Xantheose again.

RE: Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - Greydog - 05-28-2020

Building a warehouse for excess production doesn't seem to do anything either.

(05-28-2020, 01:39 PM)Greydog Wrote: Building a warehouse for excess production doesn't seem to do anything either.

Yes, I explained that in the other thread too.

A building manufacturing commodities will always only attempt to store the commodities in its own storage. Warehouses have to fetch the commodities from the other building storages themselves, a building can't place commodities into the storage of another building.
Exception being arriving broker shipments, but they aren't actually buildings, I suspect that they are actually handled at the city level.

RE: Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - Haxus - 05-29-2020

This is not a bug. It prevents a building from wasting materials by manufacturing more than it can store. The excess is then lost.

When the process has no room to store the output, it runs again without consuming more materials. Eventually there is room to store the output.

RE: Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - Deantwo - 05-29-2020

(05-29-2020, 04:50 PM)Haxus Wrote: This is not a bug. It prevents a building from wasting materials by manufacturing more than it can store. The excess is then lost.

That makes sense. Since I assume the manufacturing process wouldn't be able to return a partial amount of the manufacturing run.

So the reason is that you value the materials used in the manufacturing run more than the partial output. This I will disagree with.

(05-29-2020, 04:50 PM)Haxus Wrote: When the process has no room to store the output, it runs again without consuming more materials. Eventually there is room to store the output.

This is not true. It is possible for a building's storage to not be big enough to store the result of even one manufacturing run. For example a power plant with a too small capacitor will never produce any electricity at all. Same can happen for some factory buildings with a too small storage.
Combined with some of the other manufacturing bugs that cause worker count or output to be higher than expected will then increase the probability of this happening.

Best solution for this issue would be for a partial output to just retain the unused materials. For example if the input is 2000 metal and there is only storage space available for half the output of 2000 mechanical parts, then the manufacturing job should retain 1000 of the metal.
This could however quickly get messy, if it is even possible. At the very least it is an issue with building blueprints that have tiny storages.

Only other solution I can think of is to add a toggle to all manufacturing lines, specifying if input or output is more valuable. With infinite resources we won't care if some input (oil) is wasted in order to keep supply of output (petrochemical) at maximum possible. But for expensive or rare resources we might value the input (antiflux) more than the output (warp-drive module) and therefore want the current behavior.

Anyone else got ideas?

RE: Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - Vhwatgoes - 05-30-2020

(05-29-2020, 09:59 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 04:50 PM)Haxus Wrote: This is not a bug. 

That makes sense.

(05-29-2020, 04:50 PM)Haxus Wrote: When no room it runs again until there is.

Why not partial output?

Partial output would be ideal. An alternative could also be instead of restarting the process, it can hold and "waiting for X-amount available storage" before depositing, but that's not much different that what we have now. 

I suppose we'll just have to design around it. I keep mentioning the output bonus bug, but if that didn't exist, the 7400 worker process would instead be outputting 81,400 metal instead of 54,834,000 metal (673x more) which easily fits. I'm telling you, the difference is immense if that is intended or not. Large buildings become absolutely meta, but it's also so excessive that maximizing cities isn't necessary. It would be nice to get a comment on that math too and which direction you decide to take on that. I'm fine with either way, I just want to know what I'm working with.

RE: Processes don't output if a single run exceeds storage - AnrDaemon - 05-30-2020

The designer just needs a check that the output of a single run will fit into building's storage under any possible circumstances.
And preferably more than once.