Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Resource Connectivity Mechanism
The "Stonehenge" structures that provide teleportation between systems should also allow the transfer of goods instantaneously between systems. This could provide some real use to them.

In order to use them, they must be found then hooked up to the trade network by road, airport, or harbor in the same way as any other building.
The very idea of ringworld wormhole is that it is manually activated.
Want to use it? Do it yourself.
Would make ringworlds very very powerful.
Also with broker shipments, this is kinda redundant.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Anr, I am not talking about the main wormhole, I am talking about the smaller structures on every arc of the ringworld.

Dean: It would make ringworlds more powerful, but I don't see it having a huge effect. Like you said, it doesn't do anything that broker shipments don't do, but it'd accomplish it in a more streamlined manner. It adds a reason to find these structures, and seems like a fun additional approach to logistics.
(07-20-2019, 10:04 PM)AnrDaemon Wrote: The very idea of ringworld wormhole is that it is manually activated.
Want to use it? Do it yourself.

He means a henge, not the star gate control platform. I think.
(07-20-2019, 10:10 PM)Mr. Mortius Wrote: It would make ringworlds more powerful, but I don't see it having a huge effect. Like you said, it doesn't do anything that broker shipments don't do, but it'd accomplish it in a more streamlined manner. It adds a reason to find these structures, and seems like a fun additional approach to logistics.

I am guessing that it is most of all a design limitation. Things in a solar system don't communicate with things in other solar systems. That is why broker shipments are made the way they are; as fire-and-forget packages.

As for practically, it just seems redundant and too uncontrollable to be useful.

The henges are mostly just lore objects, they might be used in more ancient themed story missions. Could let them open a portal to temporary instance dungeons for example.
If you mean, connect like an airport terminal, for total inventory access, then as Dean says it's possibly a hassle beyond the current engine.

If you mean, make broker shipments instantaneous between those systems, then sure, why not? I don't think they connect outside the sector, do they? In which case, broker time is minimal anyway. And even if they are hours beyond the galaxy, it's hardly a massive boost: once your first broker shipment arrives you get a regular hourly arrival anyway, travel time is not very important.