Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make finalization screen-cap more automated
Currently, every time I want to finalize a design I have to move into position, disable the grid, hide things like hull voids and walk paths, remove my helmet, and disable the hud.  Then afterwards I have to remember to put my helmet back on, especially if I'm using a designer on a hostile world and entered the studio from outside.  (Oops.)

My proposal is to create a "Preview-Image Properties" window with options to define all of that stuff and save it with the design so that it can be applied automatically (and temporarily) during finalization. Settings should include the viewpoint (with a "save current view" option for defining it), checkboxes for stuff like the grid, skybox, ground, hud, and helmet, and a list of part categories that you want omitted.  The defaults should be such that most of the time we don't have to fiddle with anything but the viewpoint.  Saving the chosen settings on a per-design basis also means that re-finalizing something after making some quick edits takes zero extra steps unless you need to reposition the viewpoint due to rotating or reshaping the design.

This could even be bundled together under a "Preview Camera" object placed into the scene so that if we do a select-all and move or rotate everything, the viewpoint would get the same transform and not need manual adjustment.
Good idea, I've had too many "finalize shots" almost totally obscured by bits of my hud or giant barriers &c. I don't see any downside to this, other than the work it takes to implement.
I approve this.