Not a member yet? Why not Sign up today
Create an account  

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fleet Channel, named fleets channels and no Starforce channel

I like the fact that fleets were added. But there a thing that bothers me: You cannot give orders to ships under a flagship that you're not berthed at.

I had envisioned fleets in a slightly different way:

- You could create fleets and name them, e.g. First Fleet, Orion Sector Fleet or Battlegroup Gamma.

- Hailing in the Fleet channel would then open channels to all individual ships like before, aswell as open channels to all named fleets. Giving orders in the named channels would then give the order to all ships within that fleet. Also currently it seems to open 2 different channels to flagships (one from Fleet and one from Starforce)

The formations and travelling together I had not envisioned, but they do sound nice, so I'm ok with that. I however envisioned it to merely be a way of communicating with a select group of ships (instead of all ships in system/sector range). But grouped warps/jumps do sound cool.

This would be nice because you could give orders to fleets aswell as to all individual ships of every fleet at all times. . After completing individual orders ships could then return to the flagship. That way ships within a remote fleet can be sent to do errands.

And best of all, it could solve the Starforce naming conundrum because that channel would not be needed anymore

I realise that this might be nitpicking a bit and maybe asking to much for Hazeron but i got that from X4 foundations where individaul ships can be sent do orders, then automatically return to fleet orders after finishing the individual task.

Might just be fueled by resitance to change, dunno, we'll see what other people think. :D

Why doesn't the current system work?
  1. Hail Starforce channel
  2. Go to the private channel for the flagship of your desired fleet
  3. Give the flagship orders to control the fleet
I would argue that you can just place an alt avatar in each fleet, you will likely want this anywaybsince it is just much more convenient. So getting to each ship in your fleets shouldn't be that hard.
Not sure why you would want to remotely give orders to individual ships in another fleet though.

(05-14-2024, 12:04 AM)Ivan Wrote: And best of all, it could solve the Starforce naming conundrum because that channel would not be needed anymore

Could just name the channel "Ships". Only confusing part is that it doesn't include company ships, but I do think company ships are unnecessary currently.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

I think it may be intended, as a fleet acts as one big ship, and having each ship respond individually be controllable might get a bit confusing, especially if they wouldn't normally respond outside of a fleet due to not having an officer
What even

(05-14-2024, 11:24 AM)Celarious Wrote: especially if they wouldn't normally respond outside of a fleet due to not having an officer

Ships don't require an officer to be part of a fleet? You sure about that? Interesting if true.
Yeah, then it just makes even more sense. Not sure they would reply if you hail the Fleet channel either then.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo

(05-14-2024, 12:57 PM)Deantwo Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 11:24 AM)Celarious Wrote: especially if they wouldn't normally respond outside of a fleet due to not having an officer

Ships don't require an officer to be part of a fleet? You sure about that? Interesting if true.
Yeah, then it just makes even more sense. Not sure they would reply if you hail the Fleet channel either then.

Yeah I tested, any ship can join, I added everything in orbit over my capital to it no problem
What even