Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Universe Restart?
(12-31-2019, 07:16 PM)Vectorus Wrote: Or, so, that people can still hide purely defensively, after the main galactic area becomes a totally one-sided cagefight against whoever becomes Universe 6 Big Bully, stop stargates and broker shipments from  functioning, either sending or receiving, outside a set range from galactic core, while still generating systems.

But why allow it at all? Only reason I have heard to keep far off galactic plane systems, is so you can get those nice skyboxes with the whole galaxy in view. Which is really a horrible gameplay reason and could totally be done differently to preserve the view.

For example the "Space Dungeons" idea I suggested not too long ago could be done in systems that are far off the galactic plane, simply for the view. Would fit nicely with the whole black hole wormholes too, since they would be almost intergalactic wormholes.
See: (Idea thread) Space Dungeons
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Why allow it? Why ban it? 

If people can't exploit it by instantly jumping from dark space into an attack then running away again - because stargates don't operate in the outlands - and if they can't exploit it by having massive production that's trivially easy to transport to the frontline - because brokers don't operate - there is little reason to ban it. It harms no one. There should obviously be a limit if the big numbers cause calculation errors or infinitude starts to hurt the servers, but that limit will probably be further out than the minimum "nice-skybox" range.

Current Hazeron gameplay exists to create an atmosphere, a backdrop for sci-fi stories. The "outpost beyond the Galactic rim" is a fairly prevalent sci-fi trope and anyone who has been to the outlands in Hazeron knows the lonely, cold atmosphere they create, looking out on the great ribbon of galactic stars, is evocative and valuable in itself.

Experienced players have the reach and ability to destroy ANYTHING in the main galactic area if you annoy them enough: hiding is a very important defence. Yet their offensive, griefing potential is de-fanged by the suggested nerfs. Celarious' specific problem of ringworld colonies at untouchable range appearing like the robots of Krikkit to stomp everyone and disappear - which is a real problem - goes away. Moreover, any attacks you do make from them by travelling conventionally can now be traced back by warp-signature, and at the 1-system-per-sector range it is pretty easy to extrapolate the source system.
I agree with Vectorus. Nerf but don't remove.
(12-31-2019, 08:40 PM)Vectorus Wrote: Why allow it? Why ban it? 

... because stargates don't operate in the outlands ... because brokers don't operate ...

Because it is confusing at adds weird little need to know rules to that game that are in no way obvious or makes sense in the game mechanics.

"This star gate can open a wormhole to ANY system in the universe. Except that one, that one, those, this one, the ones over there, that weird one with the spots, and the rest in this corner that you thought it would work in but doesn't anyway." Welcome to the game you will never understand.

There simply not being any new stars beyond a certain point isn't too hard to understand or see.
Nah, I don't think "system gen doesn't work beyond this point" is so many orders of magnitude simpler than "stargates don't work beyond this point".
So I take it this restart hasn't happened yet?
I plan on living forever ..so far so good!
(01-04-2020, 09:19 AM)Greydog Wrote: So I take it this restart hasn't happened yet?

You are correct.
No date has been set yet, and we have no ETA.
Now that the holidays are over, I'm sure we'll see more updates in preparation for the universe wipe.
It may be too late to suggest things for the next universe, but I think Haxus should consider upping the flag resolution with the new universe. I had asked him about it a few years back, due to remotely complex flags just being a blurry mess, and if I remember correctly he did put it on his list of things to do. It seems like the best time to do it since you don't have any old flags to worry about. Even if he upped the flag resolution to 128x128 that would be a decent improvement. Ideally, though, 256x256 should be a high enough resolution for all flags to appear nice and crisp, with the shapes distinguishable.
What is the usual size of the flag you regularly observe on your screen, may I ask?